Monday, 6 May 2013

May 5th (Bangkok)

So this post is a little late, yesterday was filled with adventure as it was the first day here. When we arrived it was already late so there wasnt much that we could do to settle in. When we woke up the belongings that i bought from Taye (last year practicum student) was moved into my room from storage. One of the guys (there are 5 guys in this group of 30 that came to Bangkok) was super helpful and helped everyone move all the big items. Small items the girls all helped each other out. So my room looked like this for most of the day as i helped some of the girls get settled in. It took quite some time to get everything organized (ill take a finished photo of my room).


Taye left me ALOT of stuff! The room was very bare when i first moved in and all the shelves and stuff helped out huge to organize everything. After finding out what i  had in my package i realized (along with the other girls) what else we had wanted so we headed to our local "wal-mart" called Big C. This was more like a super walmart bc it had food AND everything wal mart normally carries. It was located only about 5 minutes away from our living residence (called Piyapat). Main floor of Big C is a food court area. Not many ppl in there spoke english and the girl i went with (Alyssa) bought some SUPER spicy rice that made her finishe her water very quickly! And so the guy we went with (Andy) hooked us all up with a smoothie. He was so excited to show us the way he carried 3 drinks in one hand i had to snap a photo: 

I had fried rice in the morning so i didnt feel like fried rice so i decided on something a little less flavor intense. My dish included vermicelli, eggs, tomato, white rice, cabbage, egg tofu, ground pork and a salted duck egg: 
The whole entire day including eating and shopping for household items i spent 1000 baht which was about $33!

I also had a really interesting drink which was made of corn, and tasted exactly like a corn but not starchy
The grocery section was filled with lots of yummy looking baked goods, exotic fruits and veges. I ended buying a papaya, dragonfruit and watermelon. Andy bought jackfruit and shared it with everyone. I also saw a HUGE japanese melon which was all warty looking =S but thats normal apparently 

At night one of the practicum students brought us to a night market near by, where you can basically buy ANYTHING there! Ill have to write about it when i have pictures to share.

It's a very early morning tomrrow so i'll have to post another late post. Tuesday and Wednesday the school is taking us and the Thai teachers to a team building orientation so probably no wifi there, but ill try my best to keep you guys up to date

1 comment:

  1. The melon looks like pumpkin. Lol I could use a drink holder thingy a jiggy for all the bubble teas lol. Your room looks like pretty decently sized, funny how we tend to experience dorm-life outside university eh? Lol. Well I guess I can't say I've experienced it, but I wanted to.

    ReplyDelete